Today’s data-intensive science provides new opportunities for discovery, but also presents new challenges as investigators struggle to find ways to manage their data. The NIH Library’s Data Services Program offers assistance throughout the research process, including providing access to a data sciences workstation in the Library.
The data sciences workstation features tools for data analysis, processing, and visualization, as well as links to information on using data tools, conducting research using data mining, and finding data available for reuse. Below are some of the tools available on the data sciences workstation.
- Anaconda: A high-level, general-purpose, dynamic programming language that combines 195 of the most popular Python packages for science, math, and data analysis.
- JMP: Statistical software that allows you to perform data analysis, data acquisition and cleanup, data visualization, reliability analysis, text exploration, statistical modeling. JMP integrates with SAS, MATLAB, and R.
- MATLAB: A programming language that allows you to analyze data, develop algorithms, and create models and applications. The language, tools, and built-in math functions enable you to explore multiple approaches and reach a solution faster than with spreadsheets or traditional programming languages.
- R and RStudio: The R environment provides an integrated suite of software facilities for data manipulation, calculation and graphical display. RStudio is an open source user interface for R that provides access to some packages not available in the basic R environment.
- Stata: A complete, integrated statistical software package that provides everything you need for data analysis, data management, and graphics. A point-and-click interface and a powerful, intuitive command syntax make Stata fast, accurate, and easy to use.
- SPSS Statistics: An advanced statistical software analysis program that enables you to quickly dig deeper into your data, making it a more effective tool than spreadsheets, databases, or standard multi-dimensional tools for analysts. SPSS Statistics includes functionalities such as descriptive statistics, data preparation, graphing, bivariate statistics procedures, factor and cluster analysis, and linear and ordinal regression.
- Tableau: An analytics tool for creating interactive data visualizations that allow users to explore temporal, spatial, topical, and network data.
Reservations for the data sciences workstation can fill up fast. Reserve your space today.
The NIH Library in Building 10 serves the information needs of NIH staff and select Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) agencies. The NIH Library is part of the Office of Research Services (ORS) in the Office of the Director (OD).NIH Library classes, events, resources, and services, subscribe to our e-news
Last modified date: Wed, 05/23/2018 - 12:54pm