Doug Joubert joined the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Library in 2004. He is customer-oriented practitioner with extensive experience in providing support to researchers working the areas of public health and health care policy. He is the Informationist for the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), and the Point of Contact (POC) for the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH).
As part of his duties at the NIH Library, he identifies and provides guidance on the effective use of emerging technologies and recommends strategies to capitalize on them. Practice areas include public health, social media, teaching, and technology. Major responsibilities include:
- Lead for the Data Services and Technology Hub Teams.
- Lead instructor for the NIH Library Introduction to R classes.
- Serve as the Geographic Information Systems (GSI) training and technical lead in support of the NIH Library Technology Hub.
- Provide training in the areas of data analysis, data visualization, geospatial literacy, and online mapping tools.
What Can I Do For You
- Provide comprehensive searching of the scientific and grey literature.
- Develop and conduct individual or group instruction on how to search, collect, and manage scientific and public data, both online and in-person.
- Create research or news alerts to keep up-to-date on research or topics of interest.
- Assist with manuscript preparation (e.g., selecting an appropriate journal, formatting the paper and references, receiving support for paper submission and more).
- Consult on special projects involving the locating, organizing, analyzing, and synthesizing of information or data.
- Provide guidance and support on issues related to data management and curation, data analytics, and basic support for Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Federer, L. M., Belter, C. W., Joubert, D. J., Livinski, A., Lu, Y.-L., Snyders, L. N., & Thompson, H (2018). Data sharing in PLOS ONE: An analysis of Data Availability Statements. PLoS One, 13, (5), e0194768. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0194768
- Federer, L., Joubert, D. J. (2018). Providing Library Support for Interactive Scientific and Biomedical Visualizations with Tableau. Journal of eScience Librarianship, 7, (1), . http://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.7191/jeslib.2018.1120.
- Federer, L. M., et al. (2016). "Data literacy training needs of biomedical researchers." J Med Libr Assoc 104(1): 52-57.
- Federer, L. M., Lu, Y.-L., Joubert, D. J., Welsh, J., & Brandys, B. (2015). Biomedical Data Sharing and Reuse: Attitudes and Practices of Clinical and Scientific Research Staff. PLoS One, 10(6), e0129506. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0129506Federer, L., Joubert, D. J., and Davis M. (2015).
- Expanding and Enhancing Library Data and GIS Services: Implementing an Information Visualization Service. 2015 Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association. Austin, TX.
- Joubert, D.J., Belter C. (2014). Analytical Methods for Systematic Review Support. 2014 Medical Library Association - Quad Chapter Meeting. Alexandria, VA.
- Joubert, D. J., A. A. Livinski, et al. (2014). Keeping up with public health series. 2014 Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association. Chicago, IL.