A guide about evidence based public health information and resources.
Evidence Based Public Health Definitions
What is Evidence-Based Practice (EBP): Evidence-based practice is the judicious use of the best research evidence (found in health sciences literature), clinical expertise (what the health care provider knows) and patient values (what the patient wants and believes) to create a plan of action regarding patient care. Evidence-based practice is an umbrella term that covers evidence-based medicine, evidence-based dentistry, evidence-based public health, evidence-based nursing and etc.
What is Evidence-Based Public Health: Evidence-based public health is defined as the development, implementation, and evaluation of effective programs and policies in public health through application of principles of scientific reasoning, including systematic uses of data and information systems, and appropriate use of behavioral science theory and program planning models.
Source: Brownson, Ross C., Elizabeth A. Baker, Terry L. Leet, and Kathleen N. Gillespie, Editors. Evidence-Based Public Health. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
Public Health Information Sources
Evidence for public health interventions often comes from peer-reviewed research published in journals. In the field of public health consider material outside of the peer-reviewed journals in these information sources:
- Conference Proceedings
- Government Reports
- Policy Statements, Laws & Regulations
- Surveillance Data
- Expert Knowledge and Opinion
- Grey Literature
Why The Need for Non-Peer Reviewed Sources?
- Time Lag - public health practitioners often need information quickly - faster than it is published in a peer-reviewed journal
- Researchers and practitioners fail to write-up research because of time demands of competing priorities
- To find information on new or controversial topics attend professional meetings
- Expert opinion and listservs can be a good source of information when asking "what can, or did, go wrong with an intervention" ?
NIH Library Class Slides on Evidence Based Public Health Information
- Evidence Based Public Health Information Resources (PDF): NIH Library class handout for our Introduction to Evidence Based Public Health Information class.