Public Health Surveillance Data
Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
- Behavioral surveillance surveys are screening surveys that provide information on behaviors among sub-populations who may be difficult to reach through traditional household surveys (Cromley & McLafferty, 2012b).
- The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) is the world's largest, on-going telephone health survey system (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013b).
- BRFSS questionnaire contains three sections: core questions, optional modules, and state-added questions (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013b).
- CDC Wide-ranging ONline Data for Epidemiologic Research (CDC WONDER) provides access to a variety of public health surveillance data and CDC reports.
County Health Rankings
- Counties in each of the 50 states are ranked according to surveillance data on health outcomes and a broad range of health factors.
National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS)
- In 2003, CDC created the National HIV Behavioral and System (NHBS) for conducting behavioral surveillance among persons at high risk for HIV infection (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013f).
- Surveillance is conducted in rotating annual cycles in three different populations at high risk for HIV: men who have sex with men (MSM), injection drug users (IDUs), and heterosexuals at increased risk for HIV infection (HET) (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013f).
Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS)
- The Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS) monitors six types of health-risk behaviors that contribute to the leading causes of death and disability among youth and adults, including (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2013n):
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence.
- Sexual behaviors that contribute to unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV infection.
- Alcohol and other drug use.
- Tobacco use.
- Unhealthy dietary behaviors.
- Inadequate physical activity.
Last modified date: Wed, 04/05/2017 - 1:32pm