Most search engines support several advanced operators, which are query words or symbols that have special meaning to the search engine. Typically these operators modify the search in a specific way, or even command the search engine to do a totally different type of search.
- - (minus sign) Word immediately following will NOT appear in results: NIMH -batteries
- + (plus sign) (No longer works in Google) Word immediately following MUST appear in results, exactly as you typed it (e.g., an unusual or incorrect spelling): +reserach
- Phrase search (“ ”) Double quotes tell the search engine to search for an exact phrase: "autism journal"
- OR: This lets you search for related terms: NIH OR "national institutes"
- *: A wildcard that substitutes for unknown words: Francis * Collins
- site: This allows you to find all documents within a particular domain and all its subdomains. Example: site:yahoo.com or site:edu depression
- link: This allows you to find documents that link to a particular URL. Example: link:https://nihlibrary.nih.gov/
- inurl: This allows you to find a specific keyword as part of indexed URLs. Example: inurl:horticulture
- intitle: This allows you to find a specific keyword as part of the indexed titles. Example: intitle:botany
- related: This allows you to find Web pages that have similar content Example: related:www.cnn.com
- filetype:pdf Adobe PDF. Example: filetype:pdf botany
- filetype:xls Microsoft Excel. Example: filetype:xls horticulture
- filetype:ppt Microsoft PowerPoint. Example: filetype:ppt anthropology
- filetype:doc Microsoft Word. Example: filetype:doc science
- range of numbers: This allows you to search a range. Example: headphones $50..$99 or (HIV or AIDS) 1986..1990
To see the weather for many U.S. and worldwide cities, type "weather" followed by the city and state, U.S. zip code, or city and country.
Example: weather San Francisco
To see current market data for a given company or fund, type the ticker symbol into the search box.
To see the time in many cities around the world, type in "time" and the name of the city.
Example: time London
To use calculator function, simply enter the calculation you'd like done into the search box.
Example: 5*9+(sqrt 10)^3
You can convert between many different units of measurement of height, weight, and mass among others. Just enter your desired conversion into the search box and we’ll do the rest.
Example: 10.5 cm in inches
If you want to search not only for your search term but also for its synonyms, place the tilde sign (~) immediately in front of your search term.
Example: ~fast food
To see a definition for a word or phrase, simply type the word "define" then a space, then the word(s) you want defined. To see a list of different definitions from various online sources, you can type "define:" followed by a word or phrase. Note that the results will define the entire phrase.
Example: define housing
If you’re looking for a store, restaurant, or other local business you can search for the category of business and the location and we’ll return results right on the page, along with a map, reviews, and contact information.
Example: dentistry 02138
Airline Travel Info
To see flight status for arriving and departing U.S. flights, type in the name of the airline and the flight number into the search box. You can also see delays at a specific airport by typing in the name of the city or three-letter airport code followed by the word "airport".
Example: American airlines 18
Example 2: Houston airport
To use currency converter, simply enter the conversion you’d like done into the search box.
Example: 150 GBP in USD
Type in the name or U.S. zip code of a location and the word "map".
Example: Seattle map
Example 2: 10 Downing Street Westminster, London UK
Last modified date: Fri, 08/27/2021 - 4:48pm