The EndNote styles collection contains more than 4,500 bibliographic styles for a variety of disciplines. If you do not see the style you need, check the EndNote website.
If you find the journal style you need, download the file and save to the desktop.
- For windows: left click on the Start menu, click Explore, go to Program Files, click on EndNote, click on the Styles folder.
- Drag and drop the output style file from your desktop to the folder.
If you cannot find the output style you need from the EndNote website, you can alter an existing style to conform to your needs.
- From the Edit menu, choose Output Styles and select Open Style Manager.
- In the Style Manager, change the setting in the information panel (on the right- hand side) from Style Info to Style Preview. The preview of the selected style should now be displayed.
- Scroll through the list of available styles to see if you can find one that is similar to what you need.
- Once you have found a similar style, select it, and click the Edit button. The Style window opens.
- Choose Save As from the File menu, give this copy of the style a new name that corresponds to the name of the journal you want to use it for, and click Save. This will also keep the original style unchanged, in the event that you need to use it later.
- The new Style window remains open for you to edit as you need.
- There are many elements of the style that may be edited. For detailed information on specifics of editing styles refer to the EndNote Manual (via the Help button). As an example, you can edit the citations in the text from superscript numbers "1" to "author-year type". Click on Templates under the Citation heading to see the Citation panel. This template tells EndNote how to format the in-text citations. (The bibliography number corresponds to a numbered reference in a bibliography.) An author-year type of style would display as “(Author, Year)” in the citation template. You may change the template by deleting unwanted field names or punctuation, retyping the punctuation you want, and inserting new fields with the Insert Field button.